Friday, December 30, 2011

Thurisaz

This stave when I did the meditation at the Rune Class was first very hard to see.  I instantly got a headache when we started the meditation work, and I felt it was an energy block from this stave.  I made myself push through the energy block and came into my space in the woods, but it was night, and a almost full or full moon.  A distance away from the fire where Zealu and the Quiet Warrior sat was a tree.  I walked to the tree with my black silver wolf to get a better look.  I saw a dead black alder tree, the limbs were all broken off and the tree was frozen.  In the tree was carved the Thurisaz stave.  The tree and stave stood out in the light of the moon. 

When I began working with Thurisaz stave this week, I did not get any energy block from the stave.  Things I found interesting is that, I made my altar tools when working with COG, out of Rocky Mtn. Alder.  It has a bright red bark as it matures.  Alder is the only wood in myth that can be used to bind a witch.  Seeing the Thurisaz stave carved in a frozen Alder tree, made me realize that I have in a sense bound myself from all magical and spiritual workings. 

I also see this rune as a protection stave, very masculine associated with Thor.  This is a man's rune.  So when I write this on my palm and go to sleep, I dream of an old friend as a lover.   What is that, again a sign that I am missing that companionship, safety aspect in my life. 

I do not see this a rune to stay away from as I thought at first.  It is a very powerful stave that is like uncontrollable destruction, that kind of destruction that cannot be controlled.  Right now I am dealing with reprecussions of uncontrollable and controllable circumstances.  There is a lesson in this stave I do not have yet, but unlike most articles I read on this stave, I do not find it frightening and scary, but it is definately a stave to be used with care and respect because it carries with it an energy that is older and stronger than most energies people are used to working with.

God: Thor  (though I have read the true translation means "Frost Giant")
Stone: Sapphire
Element: Fire (though I see this as Water, specifically Ice)
Tree: Blackthorn or Oak 

Further thoughts:  I also see this a balance rune, sometimes you need uncontrollable chaos to come, in order to find balance.  Much of the lore I read has specifically said women should be careful with this rune, which I suspect is the energy most women feel when working with Thurisaz, it is almost like 'Man Medicine' specifically for men, however, I also sense that if one asked, a woman would be able to use this stave with much power.  Since women, especially if defending their children react with emotion then logic, this stave used without some thought behind the work  one wanted to do with it, could cause unchangable destruction. 

I actually really like Thurisaz, it feels much like my ward Eegan, that rests until called upon for help or protection.  It is there when needed, but should be used when other things have failed first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment